Written by Jason "PK" Levine
Edited by Nikola Vrtis
Illustrated by Alex Fernandez, Michael Harmon, and Nikola Vrtis
GURPS Line Editor: Sean Punch
24 pages. PDF.
Stock number 37-0347
Always Available – Click here to buy!
Gotta Have Faith
Champions and sidekicks built using the crusader, brother, or gifted template, mystic lens, or clergy motivational lens are likely to draw power – or at least conviction – from forces beyond the temporal. Some call their devotion "spirituality" or "philosophy" rather than "religion," but by any name it's faith. Yet while the topic is broad and deep, games too often reduce it to "Wielders of generic powers granted by anonymous forces battle nameless evil. News at 11."
GURPS Monster Hunters 6: Holy Hunters aims to make the beliefs themselves an interesting part of the game. It brings respectful realism to the subject, offering:
- Game-friendly summaries of real-world creeds: Hinduism, Abrahamic faiths (Christianity, Islam, Judaism), indigenous religions (of Africa, Asia, Australia, and the Americas), Neo-Paganism, and more. Each comes with worldviews for your characters to adopt and suggestions on how to select skills and abilities that fit.
- New abilities for the Mysticism power: Animated Servitor (have your own golem or zombi), Astral Projection, Divine Vessel (let spirits and divine avatars "ride" your body!), Instant Karma, Purifying Incense, Rapid Cleansing, and Totem Bond. All with advice on tailoring them to specific belief systems.
- Yet more monsters to hunt, each associated with the myth and legend of a specific religion.
- Asides on working around the thorny issues that inevitably arise when dice collide with devotion: respect, tolerance, the distinction between miracles and magic, and "Why didn't X make the cut?"
Because however many gods you have, by whatever names, you want them on your side when you're hunting The Enemy!
- Check out the full GURPS Monster Hunters line for more supernatural-slaying supplements!
- For another look at miraculous powers, check out GURPS Powers: Divine Favor.
- Taoism-inspired crusaders looking for other options may wish to draw upon the magic of GURPS Thaumatology: Chinese Elemental Powers.
- Warehouse 23 offers worldbooks, supplements, and adventures, in physical and digital formats, for GURPS – as well as many of our other game lines. Surf our site for the files you want . . . and get them instantly with a credit card or PayPal!